The heritage town of Morpeth stands on a low cliff overlooking the Hunter River with a fine view of the farming country to the north. The town was founded by an army surveyor, Lt Edward Clsoe, in 1831 and many of its original buildings have survived. Today, these can be seen on a well marked heritage walk. In the 19th century, Morpeth was a busy river port, the principal gateway to northern NSW by coastal steamer from Sydney, with good rail connections inland. But after the railway from Sydney was built across the difficult terrain of the Hawkesbury area and reached Newcastle in 1889, the port activity of Morpeth gradually declined, ceasing altogether in 1950. Three years later, the branch railway from Maitland closed, although the Morpeth station still stands.
Today, Morpeth has a relaxing old-world atmosphere, with over 40 specialist shops, restaurants and cafes and welcomes visitors from all parts of Australia and beyond.
At 164 Swan Street, in a sandstone cottage facing the river, once marked out on the town plans drawn up by Lt Close himself, you will find a warm welcome and old fashioned service in our twin shops of Teddy Bears Downstairs and Grandma's Feather Bed. We are open 7 days 10.30am - 4.00pm.